Alan from one of the lists I’m on turned me on to a Ellis Island search engine www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html that is easier to use than the official website www.ellisisland.org/. So I went and explored the developer’s website www.stevemorse.org/ & found several other good links. The pay links are clearly marked with a “$”, and most of them send you to ancestery.com but there are a few others. There are so many I had to condense what I found.
- Ellis Island Search Forms and Ship Arrivals (1892-1924), Some pay sites.
- Castle Garden (and earlier) Search Forms and Ship Arrivals (1820-1891), Some pay sites.
- Other Ports of Immigration: Baltimore Passengers (1820-1948), Boston Passengers (1820-1943), Galveston Passengers (1844-1954), Philadelphia Passengers (1800-1945), San Francisco Passengers (1893-1953). Some pay sites.
- US Census and Soundex (1790-1940): Some pay sites but many interesting searches like ED finder, street finder, street name changes & more.
- Canadian and British Census: 1901 census for Canadian & British are free the others are pay sites.
- New York Census: Obtaining AD/ED for the 1905/15/25 NY State Census & Brooklyn 1925 Name Index: Searching the Brooklyn 1925 Census.
- Births, Deaths, and other Vital Records: Several interesting search engines.
- Calendar, Sunrise/Sunset, Maps.
- Dealing with Characters in Foreign Alphabets: Converting Hebrew, Russian, Greek, English & a few other goodies.
- Holocaust and Eastern Europe.
- Creating your own Search Forms, Search Engines, and Databases