I have talked about making multi page documents with IrfanView back in April of 2007. With the new update they fixed the compression problems I was getting with making multi page PDF documents with IrfanView. You can now choose how much compression you want to put into the images, thus making smaller files.
You will need to download & install the program & plugins from http://www.irfanview.net/ . It is DonationWare which means anything you want to donate is appreciated.
I think you can actually scan with IrfanView and save as a multi page PDF. But for this article I will just take a few pictures & combine them.
Steps for make a multi page TIF that some people prefer for archiving:
- Open IrfanView.
- Click “View”> put mouse over “Multiple Page Images”> and click “Create Multiple Page TIF”.
- Click “Add Images” find the images you want> sort if needed> click “Compression” choose what you want> click “Browse” to put it where you want it on your computer> give it a “name”> click “Create TIF Image” and your done.
Steps for make a multi page PDF with IrfanView:
- Open your TIF file in IrfanView.
- Click “Save As”> choose "Save as type: PDF - Portable Document Format".
- In the PDF Settings Tab "layout" Page Format=Like Image. Page Rotation=none. Page Border=unchecked. Compression Tab=Activate Compression is checked & "True Color Images" and "Grayscale Images" are set to "JPG (medium quality)".
- Give it a name and click “Save”.
7 color images totaling 8 megs became a 76 meg TIF, on the medium compression setting I ended up with a single 1.64 meg multi page PDF file.